Under the best conditions, a well-behaved, loyal dog exemplifies the image of “Man’s Best Friend,” providing a lifetime of unconditional love to owner, family and friends. Dogs have a natural tendency to protect the things they care about, their owners or owner’s property, food, bones or even toys. A dog can feel threatened, frightened, or may have been hurt. Unfortunately, some dogs are owned by irresponsible pet owners, who don’t provide enough love, attention, proper shelter and medical care, or fail to maintain a safe environment for them. Neglected and loose dogs are more likely to bite when approached.
Other dogs have a reputation for dangerous aggressive behavior, such as pit bulls or rottweilers. Owners of such breeds usually deny their dog’s aggressive tendencies. But, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the American Veterinary Medical Association, pit bulls and rottweilers are high-risk animals, accounting for over 50% of dog attack fatalities.
All dog owners are ultimately responsible for the actions of their dogs and must be held accountable.
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog, we can recover damages from the irresponsible dog owners. Most homeowner and renters insurance policy’s will cover a dog bite incident. We will conduct a complete investigation and ensure full and fair compensation for your injury.
If you have been bitten by a dog:
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Obtain the dog owner’s information
- Locate witnesses and obtain their contact information
- Photograph your injury, the dog, and the location of the incident
- Report the incident to animal control
- Save any clothing that the dog may have damaged
- Ask the dog owner to provide proof of a rabies vaccination
- DO NOT talk to the dog owner’s insurance company
- Call Maas & Marinovich immediately for advice and representation
Contact us about your legal matter today!